Saturday, June 25, 2011

Don't be a drag, just be a queen!

Another insomnia-inspired post.

As I sit here eating improvised smores (nutella instead of chocolate....we were unfortunately out of chocolate) I think back to last night. I was having a late night conversation with my bestie Amber, and we began to talk about Lady Gaga.

I do not usually buy into pop music. It's good for dance classes and sometimes choreography, but it's not really my taste.

Except for Lady Gaga. There is something different about Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta's music.

Maybe it's because she's classically trained, maybe it's subliminal messaging hidden beneath her lyrics, swaying me to love her songs. More likely it is the non-subliminal messaging in her music. The lyrics themselves.

"I'm beautiful in my way
'cause god makes no mistakes
I'm on the right track baby
I was born this way
Don't hide yourself in regret

Just love yourself and you're set
I'm on the right track baby
I was born this way"


 The lyrics of her song Born This Way speak directly about being confident in the body and personality you were blessed with. Ignoring race, gender, religion, or orientation. It may just be me that feels this way but when I hear positive messages I get happy. Call me weird, but whatever.

Beyond her lyrics, her iconic fashion choices may seem insane (Seriously? A meat-dress? It's not just weird because I'm a vegetarian.) but I do believe there is a method to her madness. As my dad always says "she knows how to work the system". Which I agree with. She has made herself so iconic and gained a following of millions of people in the matter of a couple of years. But even more than the money-making, fame-gathering side of things, I think her ridiculous fashion choices reach deeper than that.

It has become more than crazy fashion, and become even a culture of self-accepting fashionistas. With the courage to step out the door in a headdress of horns or a dress made of tin-foil, one expresses a certain peace with oneself. When you catch to world off-guard they never know quite how to respond, which builds a sort of immunity. A fashion force field.

So basically I'm really beyond the negative messages the world constantly regurgitates at the general public. Give me something positive. Give me some Gaga.

1 comment: