Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Different people, different priorities

Recently, a surprising number of girls I just graduated high school with have been getting engaged and married.

My first thoughts? :

I just don't get it! Why in the world would you get married straight out of high school? Why not go off to college, establish your career, travel a million places, have a million awesome experiences before settling down!? It just doesn't make sense to me.

But then again, it's not me. It's them. It's their lives, and experiences, and dreams. They are different people with an entirely different set of priorities than I have. I have trouble thinking outside of my own head sometimes. Understanding others. Other people's thinking just doesn't compute for me.

I have been obsessed with dance and performing since the second I first set foot on a stage when I was three years old. I get really tunnel-vision-y sometimes. All I can think about is "My career. My career. My career." And I think that's just how I am. My career will always be the most important thing to me.

Most little girls dream of getting married and having kids. Not me. It's just never really been a goal of mine. Of course, when I was little I guess I probably assumed I'd get married and have kids someday. But it was just never that big of a deal to me in the grand scheme of things. So now that I'm "an adult" and I'm "in the real world" (but not - as my sister puts it - in the real, real world) I quite frankly don't give a crap if I get married or not. I know that I don't really want kids. But getting married? Meh. It'll happen or it won't.

But that's what makes me so different from these girls I see getting married just months out of high school.

For me, it's : Career first. Everything else second.
For them, it's : This is my life. This is how I want to live it. I love this person and cannot imagine a life without them.

It's truly just a matter of having different priorities.

If you are one of those girls I'm referring to, I can't say I understand your priorities, but I most certainly respect them. So congratulations! I wish you nothing but the very best, and I hope that you and your husband/fiancee have a long and happy life together!

No comments:

Post a Comment