Wednesday, January 5, 2011

From now until June

So it's a new year. Thought I'd point it out in case you didn't already know. The first half of every year is always the busiest time for me. While I don't necessarily enjoy being busy, I do enjoy the things that cause the busyness, so it's worth it I guess.

What really got me thinking about it was the musical read-thru yesterday. I'm starting rehearsals for my senior year musical (Footloose, for anyone out of the loop) and I know it's gonna be hectic. However, I also know that it's going to be epic amounts of fun. The dance section that we learned for auditions was decently challenging. We only had about twenty minutes to learn it, and if we had been given more time I think it wouldn't have been too difficult. But such is the way of auditions and it even gave me a bit of trouble here and there. After auditions I talked to Tony - our choreographer - and he told me that the real choreography is going to be even more challenging!! I'm so excited! It's been really awesome that in the last few years our theatre department's choreography has gotten so much better. Most of it's thanks to Tony. It brought me to the conclusion that if you give someone simple choreography, under the impression that they can't handle anything harder, then they'll never have to try to be a good dancer. 

The same goes for our show choir. Looking back on videos from my freshman year, our dancing was so simple. Now we are doing choreography on par with most high-division show choirs, and I'm so proud to be Dance Captain. Now we tend to hold our own and made finals last year. Our first competition is this Saturday and I'm sooooo excited! I think we still need to work on our all-guy and all-girl songs - Billy Jean by Michael Jackson and Mercy by Duffy respectively - but we'll get'em there! I can't wait to premiere our new closer either! For this competition we're still doing Opposites Attract by Paula Abdul, which is our old closer. But hopefully for our next competition our new one will be ready!

 At the same time I'm going to be preparing for Dublin Dance Centre's June recital, AND Performing Arts Dance Center's June recital, which is gonna be something new to deal with. I'm also gonna be working on the May show for Tap Co. which I'm super excited about (tap dancing on tables?!?!?) I'm only taking three dance classes this year. That's the smallest number of classes I've taken since first grade. No joke. After FINALLY quitting ballet, and modern and almost everything at DDC except for Tap Co. I'm only taking that one class there every week. Thanks to my bestie Amber, though, I'm taking lyrical and jazz at PADC. I can actually have a life!!! Lol! I have this new crazy concept called "free-time".

Happy Wednesday all!

No comments:

Post a Comment