Monday, January 24, 2011

Proficiency in Collegiate Level Strutting

Is still undecided about my involvement in the musical. I'm still not having fun. And I'm about ready to kill half of my friends. I swear to God. We're talking the end of Hamlet here. Dramatic, and ghosts may be involved.

But on to better things. Friday I had an audition for the Dance Major program at Shenandoah University in Winchester, Virginia. The day started with a student led tour of the campus, which was interesting. The campus is tiny, and very separate from the town. Which I'm not sure I like. But the audition went really well. The first part of the audition was an hour and a half class in ballet, an hour class in modern, and an hour class in jazz.

I was a little concerned about the ballet class because I haven't taken ballet in almost a year. Thankfully I've got fifteen years of solid ballet technique to fall back on. So after a slightly shaky barre warm-up, I had no trouble, with adagio and grande allegro. Modern wasn't really easy, but it was fun. Jazz was great! Not to self: Remember to someday thank Tori Stromp for having us "strut" in jazz all the time sophomore year. If there's one quick way to tell a well-rounded dancer from a limited one is to have them strut.

The last part of the audition was to perform a two to three minute dance solo. My solo wasn't perfect but it went well enough. Over all the entire audition went really well.

As soon as I got home Saturday evening the awesomeness kept up. I walked in the door and had an acceptance letter from the University of Akron waiting for me.

So yea, basically this weekend kicked ass.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had such a good time at Shenandoah. I want to hear all the details this weekend!

    As for the theatre thing, it's BV. Ghosts are always involved. Maybe Ben Reeves will help you get through it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo-hoo! (About the audition and the acceptance letter....) And, in point of fact, I don't think the ghost makes an appearance at the end of Hamlet. But there are plenty of bleeding bodies, and it sounds like that's pretty much what you had in mind anyway.

    Great blog! (You're thinking, cripes, now my forty-year-old cousin is going to be reading this. Well, don't let that inhibit you.... I was 18 once, too, y'know.)

    ReplyDelete