Tuesday, April 26, 2011

How could someone just stand by?

I am absolutely disgusted at the world right now. The way some people think just makes me want to throw things!

I just finished watching this video of a transgender woman getting brutally assaulted in a McDonalds. She had gone into the women's restroom and was being attacked by two other women who didn't think she belonged in there. The McDonalds employees in this video are literally just standing around, even as the two women are kicking the trans woman in the head. In fact the employee filming the video on his phone is quite literally pointing and laughing. Even when the the trans woman begins to have a seizure he walks right up and stands over her. Not offering the slightest suggestion of help. The employees go so far as to tell the two women to run before the cops arrive.

This infuriates me! I was so upset by this video that I started sobbing after seeing it. It almost sent me into an anxiety attack, and I was absolutely shaking with anger. The image of the trans woman seizing on the floor is seared into my mind. How someone could stand by and not help, let alone laugh at it, astounds me!

As all of my friends know, I am extremely supportive of LGBT rights. At a time when it seems as though LGBT support is growing, and our generation is praised for being exceptionally tolerant, this is a heart-breaking sign of just how far there still is to go.

It shocks me when I see comments on the internet, damning people to hell and what-not, for being gay, or supporting LGBT rights. I firmly believe that being gay is not a choice, it is a part of who that person is. I also firmly believe that being gay, is not a sentence to hell. The overused argument that it's "what the bible says" will never convince me that it is wrong in any way. Now, I will say for reassurance right now that I am a baptized and confirmed Christian, and I believe that the bible is the holy word of God. However, the bible was written (as in: physically composed to paper) centuries ago by mankind, NOT by God himself. Seeing as how the bible also says that we are all sinners, I certainly would not put it past the people who first wrote the bible to add in a few of their thoughts and opinions.

Now while I believe that everyone has a right to their own opinion, I also think that common sense - as well as generations upon generations of mothers - would tell us that "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I simply cannot believe people sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. According to Jesus Himself, the two greatest commandments are to love God and to love your neighbor as yourself. Sin is sin -- there are no categories for which are less bad. We're all sinners in God's eyes, whether we're straight, gay, or bi. The Bible does say some things that are anti-homosexuality on the surface, but I haven't yet taken the time for myself to read the entire passages and understand the context in which they're said...because goodness knows no one could EVER take a Bible passage out of context to try to prove their point! (Sarcasm, for anyone who didn't get it.) Also, the Bible mentions money and how humans are supposed to deal with it something like ten times to every time it mentions homosexuality, so I think we can draw a good conclusion about which topic concerns God more.

    Ultimately, the point is that we are all sinners and we will all be judged someday at the gates of Heaven. It is not our job to judge other people here on Earth. Our job is to love each other, and that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less than 50 years ago, black people were treated the same way and now we look back and scoff at the ignorance, prejudice, and intolerance. Can you imagine what future generations will think about us? People really can't look past what's right in front of them and consider the big picture. Ugh, people just make me so made.

    ReplyDelete