Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wizard rock and a thousand links to Youtube

Be prepared for a thousand links to Youtube.

I have many worlds in which I live. School, church, dance at Performing Arts Dance Center, dance at Dublin Dance Centre, home, and last but best, Harry Potter.

I don't actually live in a world of just Harry Potter, it's really all part of a much bigger world of nerds. Nerdfightaria (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyQi79aYfxU&feature=channel_video_title), nerd rock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1vc9uTK8ME), and also wizard rock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7XfxbvclG8).

I am a HUGE nerd and damn proud of it! Sometimes the reaction I get from people when I tell them I listen to "Harry Potter music" is frustrating, because they tend to look at me like I'm nuts, then quickly change the subject. I love Harry Potter for a myriad of reasons but the biggest reason would have to be that it's become this enormous 'jumping off point' for artists of all kinds. So many musicians have found their voice through wizard rock (or "wrock"), there so many fantastic kinds of fan art out there. Harry Potter is inspiring. A story about a boy who has everything taken from him from the very start, and devotes himself to justice and love. While it may sound cheesy on the surface, underneath it's a truly heart-wrenching and heart-warming concept.

My sister introduced me to wrock, and while at first I wasn't quite sure what to think, now, I absolutely love it! When I went to my first live wrock show I was hooked. I went with Madeline and our friend/little sister Maddy to see Tonks and the Aurors, The Remus Lupins, and Ministry of Magic at a show called Hogwarts Class of '84. I got my t-shirts signed by Alex Carpenter and Stephanie Anderson, and chatted with Alex when he complimented my acid-washed-purple-stained-denim jacket. When Madeline and I began to sing Going Back from A Very Potter Musical (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmwM_AKeMCk) between bands, several other people around us joined in. Even beyond all of that, there was this unmistakable sense of community! Everyone there loved what I loved, there was no judgment for our love of nerdiness!!! I. Was. Hooked.

For my last birthday Madeline surprised me with registration to Wrockstock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyflAoqEtd0&feature=channel_video_title). Wrockstock was, by far, the best weekend of my entire life! Such a sense of love and support and community everywhere you went. I got my own wand!!! The band Diagon Alley had whittled wands and were selling them in the merch room. They had also brought several life-sized broomsticks, and I sooooo would have bought one if I had had the money/space in my suitcase for it. However, you know how in the books they say "the wand chooses the wizard?" Well I picked up this fairly simple looking wand with some of the bark still on it, and it fit perfectly into my hand. So my wand picked me! I had to get it!

Madeline, Maddy, and I are going to LeakyCon this summer. We will be in Orlando, Florida the same time that the second installment of the Deathly Hallows movie is released. LeakyCon is hosting a private event in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios. I CANNOT FREAKING WAIT!!!!!!!!

Until later then chaps. As the Vlogbrothers say: D.F.T.B.A. Don't Forget To Be Awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxrdZmszHJM&NR=1

No comments:

Post a Comment