Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Stop in the name of the Canadian Mounted Police!

I feel like death. On a cracker.

Now while I'm not entirely sure what death on a cracker would taste like, it sure as hell ain't appetizing.

I have the flu. I woke up around midnight with a stomach ache and haven't been able to keep anything down since then. So. Much. Fun.


This is one of those posts where the title has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm actually writing. This post is really about people's interests affecting their outlook on other people's interests. That's really just a semi-convoluted way of saying that people never really know what they're talking about when they compliment someone's skills.

My whole life I have taken dance. This is a known fact. But my skill level has always varied depending on what group of people I've been around. When I'm around my friends at school - even all the way back to elementary school - I've always been "the dancer." Even if other friends of mine took dance classes still I was always the one notorious for it. I made every assignment for school about dance if I could.


What do you want to be when you grow up?: A dancer. 
Write about one of your goals: To get pointe shoes.
Describe an important moment in your life: The first time I got a solo in a recital.
Write about something that makes you mad: My dance studio stopped having their recitals at the Palace Theatre. 

So it was well known what my main hobby was. Modesty aside, if you asked any of my friends who the best dancer they knew was, they would most likely say "Alicia." But here's the thing, I'm really not that good. I'm a talented dancer yes, but in a crowd of other dancers I don't really stand out that much. Granted, in some auditions or open classes the group is more on the beginner side. But in my own classes, I'm at the same skill level as everyone else in there. And I have my really bad days when I just cannot pick up a combination to save my life. I have also gone to auditions and open classes where, compared to everybody else there, I look like the beginner.

It really depends on the group. I know nothing about basketball, other than there's two teams and the ball is orange. So if I were to give you the name of the best basketball player I know, they'd probably deny it.

For lack of better ideas to close this post, and for the fact that I am still running a fever and I need a nap, I will leave you with the title of this post.

Stop in the name of the Canadian Mounted Police!

No comments:

Post a Comment