Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Lorelai Paradox and other edible anomalies [BEDA August 20]

So I had my wonderful friend Forest over today for a long awaited Gilmore Night. Since I'm moving into college in a week and Forest is going to be a senior this year I made up a playlist of episodes from the 3rd and 4th seasons (Rory's senior year of high school and Rory's freshman year of college).

A very important aspect of Gilmore Girls is the Lorelai and Rory's ability to eat just about anything and everything in sight.

Luke: There's nothing in here but ice cream, candy bars, cookie dough, canned frosting. Why are you not 450 pounds?
Lorelai: I know. Scientists call it the Lorelai Paradox. 


So Forest and I did the Gilmores proud. We ordered a large pizza, garlic bread, orange chicken, tofu, lo mein, egg rolls, white rice, and fried rice. We also had marshmallows, mini chocolate doughnuts, popcorn, RedVines, Hershey Kisses, and a tray of Poptarts. I was really disappointed later though, when I realized I had forgotten the frozen tater-tots and pizza-rolls.



Lorelai: Hey, do we want the apple turnovers or the cherry?
Rory: Yes.


I had only seen Forest one other time this summer, and only for a few minutes, so we actually did a bit more gabbing than Gilmore watching. But the show was playing in the background the whole time. And with the number of times we've each seen the entire series, at this point watching Gilmore Girls is sometimes like osmosis for us.

Luke: So, how did the four dinners work out? You guys must feel more stuffed than you’ve ever been.
L
orelai: I don’t know. Is this more stuffed than the great Six Flags hot dog consumption of ‘99?
Rory: No, or the taffy binge of ’97.
L
orelai: Not by a long shot. See, we didn’t eat at my parents because of the upset, so we really had three dinners, not four.
Rory: Which means. . .
L
orelai: What?
Rory: We didn’t have to skip rolls.
L
orelai: Oh yeah. Hey, do you have any rolls left?
Luke: No. Come on. 

Lorelai: Just a little something for the walk home.
[Luke hands her a bag of rolls]
Luke: I don’t see how you do it.
Lorelai: Well, you’re not us, are ya? Night Luke.


And then the evening concluded on a high note when Madeline came home with her friend Mel, and the four of us sat around for almost two hours sharing the best "worst moments" we ever had with our former choir and theater director. Yes. We had two hours-worth of horror stories dealing with this woman.


It was a fabulous night!

No comments:

Post a Comment