Thursday, August 11, 2011

Using the Force and Carryin' the Banner [BEDA August 10]

People always talk about obsessions like they're a bad thing. And they certainly can be.

I mean, when you're standing on a window ledge, four stories off the ground, with your face pressed up against the glass of your ex's apartment, with a bouquet of flowers in your hand, just because they wouldn't answer the door...all 276 times you rang the doorbell....That's a bad obsession.

But when you're thirteen, and your best friend has recently introduced you to the movie Newsies, and you watch the movie twice a day, and any mention of Christian Bale makes you scream like the little girl you are. It's cute. Sort of. Blame Rachel. I spent the weekend at her dad's riverhouse the summer before seventh grade, and she told me, "There's this movie you HAVE to see!" So we watched it. Then we watched it again. Then she let me borrow her DVD. Then two weeks later my mom bought me the DVD. Our notebooks were plastered with pictures of Christian Bale, and Gabriel Dameon in their newsboy caps. Carryin' the banner. When I was bored in science, I would write out the lyrics of King of New York, Santa Fe, or any of the other awesome songs, in neat little columns instead of writing notes (miraculously I had an A in that class all year, despite my lyric writing, constant sketching and doodling, sleeping, and frantic homework-ing 5 minutes before said homework was checked).

That however was not my first big obsession.

My first major obsession started when I was three. Star Wars. My family had episodes IV, V, and VI on VHS, and I watched them constantly. My best friend in preschool - Elliot - and I would go to each other's houses to watch Inspector Gadget, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and, of course, Star Wars. We would trade our Han Solo, and Darth Vader action figures back and forth. At recess my friends and I would play Star Wars. I was the only girl so I ALWAYS had  to be Leia. Which was a total gyp, because they would always be "coming to save me" so I had to sit in the same place until they shot down enough stormtroopers to get to me. However, I quickly figured out that -- being four-year-old boys -- they were much more interested in shooting down the stormtroopers than saving Princess Leia. So Leia/I would always wind up breaking herself out of her cell and fighting a stormtrooper to get his gun, then join the boys in their quest for intergalactic, misogynistic peace-keeping. I didn't hate being Leia though. In fact I loved Princess Leia enough to dress like her for Halloween when I was five.

Of course there's also my obsessions with dance, and music, Hello Kitty, Disney Princesses, Harry Potter, Wizard Rock, Nerd Rock, and dinosaurs.

But some obsessions are more legendary than others. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment